On October 28, 2021, we noticed on the Taxation and Customs Union webpage of the European Commission a link to a Customs & Tax EU Learning Portal. Perhaps the initiative exists already longer, but still we find it worth pointing out the existence of the portal. Interested parties can subscribe for free to get access to online learning, trainings and events.

After successfully completing a course and passing the course assessment participants receive an ACHIEVEMENT CERTIFICATE. Participants can chose to keep this certificate private or to have it available for the public. When made public, interested parties that have received the certificate from a course can provide third-parties with the certificate code. These third-parties can then check that the participant indeed successfully passed the course.  

To check how it worked I took the course “VAT Chargeable event & Taxable amount”, which is a sub-course of a much larger VAT-course. I passed the assessment of this sub-course and received a certificate with code dvfgzCk9Iw. Since I chose to make the certificate available to the public, interested third parties can verify my certificate for successfully completing this sub-course here on the website of the Customs & Tax EU Learning Portal (You have to scroll a bit down and insert the aforementioned certificate code). You also can download the certificate yourself as a Pdf-document and save it on your computer or cloud (see the attached photo of my certificate).

Obviously the certificates in no-way can replace University degrees. Nor can we estimate the ‘academic’ value these certificates have. However, it is always good to keep your knowledge up to date and it is nice to receive a certificate that shows you successfully completed a course.

The Customs & Tax EU Learning Portal, the European Commission’s Learning Portal, offers opportunities for customs and tax professionals to build, upscale or share profession-relevant knowledge and expertise through initiatives ranging from educational online learning to the organization and hosting of multiple learning events in online and presence formats. Based on sharing of best practice, cross-country collaboration and tailored learning, this interactive training opportunity supports continuous skills & knowledge building for professionals working in customs and taxation and creates a competitive performance advantage throughout Europe.

The Portal provides users with customs and taxation training and people development measures and a place to discuss, build and disseminate taxation and customs knowledge that enhances individual, national and cross-country skills & expertise through strong collaboration.

The Customs & Tax EU Learning Portal is addressed to the public and private sector customs and tax professionals, including the national administrations, economic operators, national authorities’ staff and EC officials, academia and researchers and alike. Whilst the training offer contains also interesting material for a wider international audience, part of the content is for confidentiality reasons restricted to public administration staff only.

Unfortunately most of the courses relate to indirect taxes, excise duties and customs and there are no courses relating to direct taxes available on the Customs & Tax EU Learning Portal (yet?).

The Customs & Tax EU Learning Portal can be found here. Under “Login” you can register or login with your EC login data and start taking courses.

Copyright – internationaltaxplaza.info

Follow International Tax Plaza on Twitter (@IntTaxPlaza)

Submit to FacebookSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn
INTERESTING ARTICLES