Job Number 73601
Looking for a great place to work? A place where an award-winning culture means empowerment, teamwork and a passion for what you do? Then think WestJet. It's a great place to land.
WestJet is an organization recognized by its delivery of a remarkable guest experience resulting in us achieving over $3B in sales. In order for our best-in-class airline to be this successful, we require the skills and talents of professionals like you to ensure our ongoing growth. In an industry that is dominated by legacy competitors, you have the opportunity to build your career with an organization driven by progressive strategies, leadership and practices. If you are looking to break out of the status quo by joining a company with a strong growth plan, which consistently ranks as one of the most profitable airlines in the world, and which has a vision to be a top five international airline, WestJet is the place for you!
Posting Close Date: 02/19/2019
Senior Tax Specialist
The successful candidate will join our dynamic tax group in a key role for various tax processes and functions. Reporting to the Manager - Tax, the successful candidate will be an integral part of the tax team and be responsible for managing a variety of tax issues with a focus on systems and processes, technical analysis and research, documentation, testing, optimizing cash flow and reducing risk in accordance with tax laws and regulations in the respective global jurisdictions in which we operate.
· Researching and analyzing a wide range of tax issues and tax implications and preparation of tax memorandums.
· Identify and document tax filing positions including risk analysis.
· Provide advice and guidance to internal business groups on indirect and other transactional tax laws and regulations such as Canadian commodity taxes (GST, HST, QST, and PST, Excise tax, Fuel and Carbon taxes), International VAT and other adhoc taxes.
· Assist in the administration of foreign corporate taxes.
· Review transactional data to identify tax issues and determine proper tax treatment.
· Timely communication of tax legislation changes and financial impacts.
· Involved in the preparation or review of various indirect sales tax compliance, remittances, and instalments, both domestically and internationally.
· Assist in special projects including analyzing tax implications of changes and providing recommendations.
· Assist in developing guidelines and providing training to relevant internal business groups.
· Testing, documenting and managing ongoing changes to systems, tax processes and organization of tax information.
· Maintain and improve internal controls and efficiencies of tax processes.
· Interface with other business units of the organization and provide guidance and assistance as required.
· Support continuous process improvement.
· University degree in law or accounting with a professional accounting designation.
· A minimum 5 years’ professional experience in a tax role.
· Experience and knowledge of domestic and international indirect taxes an asset.
· Previous work experience in tax compliance.
· Strong attention to detail, organized and thorough, with a desire for continuous improvement.
· Good project management skills, with a keen business sense and a focus on adding value to the organization and overcoming obstacles.
· Highly motivated/energetic individual with the ability to take responsibility for initiatives and produce results.
· Demonstrated ability to be a strong internal business partner with a collaborative, business focus.
· Advanced skill level with Microsoft Office applications, specifically Excel.
· Exceptional organizational, analytical and multi-tasking skills.
· Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work cross-functionally at all levels within the organization.
· Excellent research and writing skills.
· A great attitude.
WestJet is Canada's most preferred airline, operating over one hundred aircraft to destinations in North America, Central America, the Caribbean and Europe. We are recognized as a Top Employer in Canada and our more than 10,000 employees work hard to ensure we maintain our position as one of Canada's most respected corporate cultures. With the launch of WestJet Encore, we will continue our steady growth by offering flights and jobs to more cities in Canada.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for their interest in WestJet. We believe in enriching the lives of everyone in WestJet's world and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Our ongoing efforts toward evolving total diversity will continue to be the way we do business every day. As owners, we believe in celebrating everyone’s unique skills, perspectives and experiences. WestJet is committed to inclusiveness, equity and accessibility. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If you inspire greater creativity and innovation towards reaching new altitudes and meet the qualifications for the position in which you are interested, we welcome you to complete an online application. WestJet is a great place to land - powered by Talent and Growth.
At WestJet, the safety and security of our people and our guests is a core value and at the heart of what we do. As safety and security is a shared responsibility, it is expected that you will utilize safe work practices to ensure your well-being and the safety of others.
WestJet recognizes that the use of Alcohol and Drugs can adversely impact a safe work environment and the well-being of others including guests, suppliers and the public, as well as place WestJet's operations at risk. All role that are identified as safety sensitive are required to pass a Pre-Employment Alcohol and Drug Test as per WestJet’s Alcohol and Drug Policy.