Job Number: 180000908
Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by managing designated indirect tax functional responsibilities including policy and planning, as well as indirectly managing team performance. For sales tax, value added tax (e.g. VAT, GST) and other indirect taxes in the US and Canada, this position manages and implements tax policies and practices for Starbucks business channels and activities working with cross-functional teams, service providers, and tax authorities. In addition to planning and policy, this position will have responsibility for advising the business on the tax impacts of new business initiatives and products, assisting with audits, and oversight of sweetened beverage tax planning, policy, compliance, and controversies, as well as other tax special projects. This position also contributes continuous improvements to minimize tax risks, maximize tax benefits, and meet tax requirements. This position manages professional fee expenses of up to $250,000. Overall, the indirect tax team manages tax liabilities, exemptions, savings and expenses that exceed $1 billion annually.
Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Leadership – Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
· Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the immediate team of direct reports, promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results
· Supports the implementation of company programs to ensure the success of the Company
· Works collaboratively across Tax & Customs and other functions for business or tax changes or impacts
Planning and Execution – Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution and measuring results:
· Prepares, communicates and educates client groups and team on changes in policies and practices within the organization
· Plans and manages business unit and department processes and practices to ensure that programs are aligned with company business goals and objectives
· Establishes new policies and processes to meet changing tax requirements; identifies opportunities, implements improvements and effeciencies in existing processes and integrates across indirect tax functions.
· Manages productive relationships with external service providers critical to Starbucks tax responsibilities, managing risks, and minimizing tax expenses.
Business Requirements – Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
· Tax Expertise/Policy - Develops high level of tax expertise for existing and new areas of responsibility. Review or performs research for complex issues and directs integration into updated Starbucks tax positions. Identifies and alerts leaders on material changes in proposed legislation or rules that impact the company. Clearly communicates verbally and in writing recommended business application, impacts or changes to Starbucks tax policies or practices.
· Tax Audits - Sets direction and manages tax audits, appeals and tax refund/credit reviews, overall or for areas of responsibility. Oversees preparation of documentation required and communicates Company's tax positions to the tax authorities. Evaluates and negotiates proposed tax positions and adjustments and resolves issues. Manages productive working relationships with tax authorities.
· Business Partnership – Manages engagement with business and other functions regarding existing or new business activities and tax requirements for areas of responsibility. Identifies financial and operational impacts and works cross-functionally to manage tax requirements and risks, includes educating and influencing decision makers as needed.
· Planning and Projects - Manages cross-functional initiatives and projects to capture enhanced tax benefits or meet new requirements. Includes identifying business and tax impacts, managing external service providers and integrating changes in business and tax operations.
· Internal/External Key Contact - Oversees and ensures effective working relationships with internal teams and external customers, suppliers, service providers and tax authorities regarding complex and material tax requirements and issues. Acts as the main point of contact for specific teams or responsibilities. Oversees creation and maintenance of procedure documentation for use by tax and non-tax partners.
· Business Systems Tax Requirements - Provides oversight and issue resolution for accurate and timely completion of tax requirements for business systems. Reviews plan for and ensures communication of new or changing requirements (e.g. tax classifications, exemptions, rules, rates, updates and reports). Ensures performance of troubleshooting, testing, documenting, and effective work with cross-functional teams.
· Tax Calculations and Analysis - Sets direction, develops, manages and reviews complex or new tax calculations, work papers, reconciliations and analysis. Manages tax risk assessments, SOX controls, ASC450 and other liability evaluations. May manage team's effective utilization of internal systems and reporting tools for analysis and reporting to support business and tax requirements and decisions.
· Tax Returns – May set direction for accurate and timely completion of required tax returns and obligations. Ensures new tax laws or policy changes are integrated with return processes. Ensures productive relationship and processes with external return service providers, as applicable. Manages work with tax jurisdictions and/or service providers to resolve complex or material issues and improve the processes.
Partner Development & Team Building – Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
· Challenges and inspires team members to achieve business results
· Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews
· Ensures partners adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements
· Oversees training and development of partners directly and indirectly. Directly and indirectly manages and makes effective staffing decisions
· Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to team members in order to achieve partners, business and customer results
· Develops a team of versatile tax professionals
Basic Qualifications Required
· Bachelor's degree required, preferably in accounting, business or finance or other related fields
· Experience with multi-jurisdictional indirect tax, transactional tax, excise tax, and/or sales and use tax experience required
Summary of Experience
· Progressive experience with multi-jurisdictional indirect tax responsibilities in a multinational company. 7 years
· Experience researching, developing and implementing indirect tax cross-functional policies and processes in multinational company. 5 years
· Experience managing and negotiating indirect tax audits. 3-5 years
· Experience managing tax functional responsibilities, people, teams and external resouces. 3-5 years
· JD or masters/graduate degree in tax, law, business preferred
· Certified Public Accountant, licensed attorney, and/or Institute of Professionals in Taxation CMI certification preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Ability to apply knowledge of multidisciplinary business principles and practices to achieve successful outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities.
· Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines effectively in a fast-paced environment.
· Ability to effectively negotiate and influence decisions of peers and leaders across the finance and business organization.
· Ability to use ERP/accounting system and reporting tools to obtain required information for tax purposes.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
· Advanced skills in databases and Microsoft Excel; intermediate skills with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
· Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of indirect tax laws, application, practices and procedures.
· Displays initiative and can improve processes and document work performed.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate regulatory impacts or requirements to both Tax and non-Tax customers.
· Exceptional attention to detail and organization.
· Helps identify risks and opportunities and participates cross functionally to implement solutions that drive process improvements and strengthen the control environment.
· Highly collaborative with cross functional teams and delivers excellent customer service.
· Proficiency in tax systems, tax databases and tax research tools. System experience preferred includes Vertex tax calculation systems, retail point-of sale system tax management for items and tax rates.
· Strong cross-functional problem solving and analytical skills.
· Strong supervisory skills including planning, organizing, development, managing performance and hiring.
· Understands job requirements and performs internal controls, including providing evidence of internal control performance to management as well as internal and external auditors