Job Number: 180001339
Job Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by managing teams and functional areas that support Starbucks’ global income tax provision and related reporting, analytics, processes and controls, and forecasting. This role is a core global income tax accounting function team member, expected to be proficient in ASC 740 and related accounting standards and application for a multinational corporation, including hands-on experience with tax accounting models such as effective tax rate, FIN 48, tax accounts roll forward, deferred and taxes payable proofs, foreign provision packages, and consolidations. This role will assess and manage tax financial reporting risks, implement best practices, and support process improvement and technology optimization initiatives. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
· Prepares and reviews of global income tax provision, supporting schedules and consolidation, financial reporting footnotes and disclosures for interim and annual financial statements, and associated management review analytics and financial reporting deliverables
· Prepares and reviews FIN 48 calculations, position memos, and related disclosures
· Planning, calculation, and coordination of the foreign income tax provisions for US GAAP financial reporting.
· Manages income tax inputs for the global forecasting process and reviewing effective tax rate modeling.
· Performs analysis of income tax accounts, including risk assessment, trend analysis, and comparative analytics
· Develops income tax accounting models and forecasts for internal management reporting or to support informed business decisions.
· Operates and maintains internal control processes (SOX), including preparation of initial documentation, annual updates of documentation, and supporting control testing with internal and external auditors.
· Performs research, analysis, and consultation on changes in accounting pronouncements, income tax legislative developments, and significant transactions
· Develops research and positions for moderately complex income tax or income tax accounting issues; clearly documents and communicates findings, both orally and in writing.
· Ensures appropriate accounting standards and policies are followed, file documentation is complete, and income tax accounting positions are documented and accessible
· Develops and improves processes needed to support income tax reporting; driving cross-functional alignment across the finance organization as needed.
· Ensures completeness and effective utilization of available technology and internal reporting tools to gather and analyze data to support complex income tax calculations.
· Identifies key risks and opportunities and works cross functionally to provide solutions that drive process improvements and strengthen the control environment.
· Monitors changes in accounting and income tax legislative developments and maintains current knowledge of accounting standards and income tax laws and interpretive guidance relevant to the Company
· Develops high level technical expertise in areas of responsibility, and provides education and development opportunities to strengthen the skillset across the functional team.
· Provides oversight to ensure systems, processes and internal controls are consistently applied.
· Navigates organization and facilitates strategic cross-functional and external service provider connections to collaborate and ensure tax requirements are met; influence as needed for process improvement efforts.
· Provides coaching to team through development best practices, real time feedback, and mentorship; takes ownership for professional development through networking and strategic learning opportunities
Education (minimum education level, degree or certification necessary):
· Undergraduate degree
· Certified public accountant preferred
· Undergraduate in accounting, finance or business related field preferred
· Master in taxation preferred
Summary of Experience
· Recent corporate income tax experience in public accounting or large public company – 7 years
· Experience with managing income tax accounting and reporting process of a multinational corporation – 3 years
· Demonstrated experience of managing the performance and results of others – 2 years
· Progressive experience and roles within income tax organization
· Experience with foreign provisions preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate technical tax information to both tax and non-tax customers.
· Exceptional people leadership skills with demonstrated ability to create a high performing team in a collaborative and complex environment
· Ability to think strategically, communicate vision, and execute plans to meet business objectives
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team; organized and attentive to details; ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
· Strong problem-solving skills.
· Working knowledge of internal controls.
· Highly proficient in income tax accounting and reporting for US GAAP (ASC 740) and strong understanding of financial accounting concepts
· Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills to liaise with cross-functional teams, foreign accounting teams, as well as internal and external auditors
· Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with peers across the finance organization.
· Ability to identify and implement ideas for process improvement; demonstrated experience with applying technical tax knowledge to improve analysis.
· Ability to develop solutions and process improvements based on technical income tax knowledge, analytical skills, and understanding of financial systems and processes.
· Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Word.
· Proficient with tax provision software (Longview experience preferred); and ERP data reporting tools (HFM, Oracle experience preferred).
· Knowledgeable in common income tax positions (e.g., depreciation, tax method changes, stock compensation, etc.); knowledgeable of U.S. international income tax and cross-border matters (e.g., subpart F, E&P, foreign tax credits, withholding taxes, transfer pricing, etc.)
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.