Job Number: 180001452
Summary and Mission
This job contributes to Starbucks success by supporting global corporate income tax provision and related reporting, analytics, processes and controls, and forecasting. Ideal candidate will serve lead role in supporting the global income tax provision, including preparation and review of supporting schedules and jurisdictional provisions (domestic and foreign), and all associated financial reporting deliverables and related income tax disclosures for quarterly and annual financial reporting under US GAAP. This role is expected to be knowledgeable in income tax accounting (ASC 740) and financial accounting concepts, organized and attentive to detail, and work cross-functionally throughout the organization to gather and validate necessary data. The role will support continuous improvement efforts. Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
· Prepares and/or performs detailed review of key areas of the income tax provision, including:
o Effective tax rate
o Current and deferred tax expense
o Deferred tax balances
o Jurisdiction-level provision preparation, review, and/or testing
o Global consolidation schedules
o Valuation allowance support and analysis
o Unrecognized tax benefit (FIN 48) analysis and documentation
o Outside basis differences of foreign subsidiaries and corporate joint ventures
o Tax account analysis and reconciliation
o Internal and management reporting
o Financial statement disclosures (10-Q, 10-K)
· Prepares effective tax rate modeling and forecasting in support of external reporting, executive/management reporting, and planning initiatives.
· Ensures compliance with internal control documentation (SOX)
· Performs detail reviews of income tax and provision calculations, including supporting workpapers. Ensures appropriate accounting standards and policies are followed, file documentation is complete, and timelines are met. Participates in risk assessment of reporting positions.
· Supports specific global income tax issues throughout tax reporting life cycle (planning/forecasting, tax accounting, compliance, and audit).
· Monitors changes in accounting, financial reporting, and income tax legislation and stays technically current. Interprets changes to update income tax provision models and forecasts.
· Contributes to overall international/domestic tax planning by preparing scenarios of alternative outcomes and fact patterns; calculates, documents, and effectively explains cost, benefits, and risks.
· Contributes tax research for routine tax issues; clearly documents and communicates findings, both orally and in writing.
· Implements new processes to meet changing tax accounting and reporting requirements and identifies opportunities to improve efficiencies in existing processes.
· Effectively utilizes available technology and internal reporting tools to gather and analyze data to support complex calculations. Identifies and implements improvements to the underlying workpapers.
· Navigates organization to expand network of cross-functional peers both in order to assist in support of reporting efforts
· Develops entry level members of income tax team through documented detail review and real time feedback; takes ownership for professional development through targeted learning opportunities
· Undergraduate degree
Summary of Experience
· Accounting or tax experience in public accounting or private industry – 3 years
· Experience in income tax accounting and reporting for US GAAP (ASC 740) – 3 years
· Experience with accounting systems and processes; demonstrated mindset of continuous improvement by identifying opportunities for process improvements – 3 years
· Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills to liaise with cross-functional teams and with external auditors
· Experience with multinational corporations and foreign provisions a plus
· Experience with tax provision software a plus
· Certified public accountant preferred
· Undergraduate in accounting, finance or business related field preferred
· Master in taxation in tax preferred
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate technical tax information to both tax and non-tax customers.
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team; organized and attentive to details; ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
· Strong problem solving skills.
· Working knowledge of internal controls.
· Ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with peers across the finance organization.
· Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Power Point, and Word
· Proficient with tax reporting software (OneSource, Longview experience preferred)
· Experience with or aptitude to work with systems and reporting tools including ERP systems.
· Ability to work independently.
· Displays initiative and has the ability to improve processes and document work performed.
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities. Starbucks will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all federal, state, and local ordinances.