Job ID 00377648
Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Today, the opportunities for growth across Nike, Inc.’s business portfolio offer more potential than ever. Nike Finance employees play a key role in that progress by identifying and capitalizing on opportunities to drive value for every Nike shareholder. They manage accounting and reporting for Nike’s multi-billion-dollar global investment portfolio, debt and equity instruments, and other Treasury activities. They strategize, forecast, audit, analyze, budget, research and lead important decisions. Across Nike’s diverse geographies and businesses, Finance employees deliver far more than just the numbers.
Nike is seeking an Asia Pacific and Latin America (APLA) Tax Counsel/Director (Portland, OR, or possibly in Latin America) to lead APLA focused tax matters. This includes planning, compliance, controversy and communication of new and on-going business initiatives. This leadership position will work closely with business partners and other functional teams to structure and understand transactions, restructurings, and business initiatives.
In order to be successful, the candidate must possess the ability to think strategically while also engaging in day-to-day tactical details. The candidate must demonstrate a proven ability to identify and manage tax and execution risks. Candidate should have in-depth tax technical knowledge with experience evaluating and advising on international business initiatives, contemplated transactions, and business proposals. The candidate will be expected to work effectively with external advisors. Candidate must be able to lead others. This includes setting direction for and coaching seasoned and junior tax staff.
Candidate must ensure that the APLA team works closely with members across a global tax department and external stakeholder teams (e.g., Accounting, Legal, Systems) to communicate current and future business plans, obtain cross-functional tax subject matter input, and ensure coordination and execution of cross-functional tax solutions in a sustainable manner. Candidate must be able to communicate, written and verbal, complex tax concepts in ways that are meaningful and useful to non-tax professionals.
· Gain a deep understanding of Nike’s business initiatives, models, goals, and drivers, including the technologies and/or intellectual property used to launch business initiatives
· Identify and communicate to the global tax department and APLA leadership team any ongoing or new tax technical aspects/issues, benefits, and risks
· Lead/Assist with identifying, documenting, complying and defending key tax issues (e.g. transfer pricing, permanent establishments, withholding tax, indirect tax, funding, currency issues, etc.)
· Lead/Assist with direct/indirect tax compliance and potential reserves along with all quarterly/annual filings
· Lead/Assist with tax controversies
· Lead/Assist with the evaluation of cash management, and cash repatriation
· Write technical and non-technical tax research and compliance memos to be used by various business partners throughout the company
Qualified candidates should have relevant tax experience in a corporate environment, public accounting firm or major law firm. The candidate must also have:
· Minimum 10+ years of progressive international tax experience in a large corporate environment and/or Big 4 public accounting or large law firm.
· Demonstrated ability to successfully lead complex, milestone driven projects – including the ability to work effectively across cross-functional teams
· Demonstrated ability to manage others, both directly and indirectly, and to operate effectively in a matrixed environment.
· Expertise in Latin American tax matters along with a familiarity of US international tax provisions and an understanding of or practical experience with tax laws in other countries
· Detail-oriented individual who takes ownership of projects, is organized, possesses excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, and is able to deliver on tight deadlines.
· Highly motivated, hard-working, and able to work in a fast paced, informal, and often ambiguous environment
· Able to clearly and concisely interface with all levels of management
· Able to analyze and review statutes, regulations, and case law and then extract data and make appropriate recommendations.
· Effective interpersonal skills, including persuasive written and oral communication skills
· BS/BA required. Law degree required.
· Exhibits excellent judgment and a good sense of humor
· Hires great people.Develops great people.Values all opinions, collaborates and coaches.
· Has relentlessly high standards
· Thinks strategically, but stays on top of tactical execution
· Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
· Does not let ego enter the decision making process
· Results oriented, proactive, organized and able to manage multiple projects
· Has the innate ability to inspire passion in others
· Able to communicate complex tax concepts in ways that are meaningful and useful to non-tax professionals.
· Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment.
· Hard working, quick learner with a positive ''can do'' attitude and solid professionalism.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to interface with senior management
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.