Job Description :
Group Tax is a global function, with specialists currently based in the UK, US, Canada, Netherlands, Ireland and Budapest - Our strategy is to optimise the Group’s tax position through appropriate tax planning and risk management, aligned with our commercial strategy and operating structures.
Group Tax manages:
· P&L – corporate tax £732m
· Balance sheet – corporate tax £294m
· deferred tax liability £2bn
· Corporate tax cashflow - £580m
· Indirect tax cash flow - £7bn
Group Tax is divided into the following teams; Transfer Pricing (TP) and Indirect Taxes, UK Tax, Strategy and Controversy, European Tax & Operations and North American Tax.
The North American Tax team is comprised of US tax and Canadian tax experts. The North American Tax team oversees all areas of US & Canada (NA) federal, state, and international income taxes, as well as key functions in significant indirect taxes (sales/use/commodity/property). The team is accountable for all NA income tax reporting, compliance, controversy, risk management, and planning in line with the Global Tax Policy.
Role is responsible for day-to-day management of state and local, direct and indirect tax compliance and audits. Role serves as key technical resource for Group Tax and tax business support to the NAM business with respect to state and local taxes.
NA market constitutes approximately one-third of the overall net sales and one half of operating profit for management purposes. The NA market is extremely complex. Market is active in all areas of Diageo global business (supply, brand owner, demand). Legislative environment is extremely complex and evolving.
Reporting includes approx. 16 management reporting packages, multiple legal entities, and federal, state, provincial and local audits.
· Responsible for displaying Diageo Behaviors
· Responsible for representing Group Tax with cross functional shareholders, including NA Finance, DBS and other group functions.
· State and local tax subject matter expert within Group Tax
· Day-to-day lead on all state and local tax audits
Role is responsible for all US state and local tax strategy, planning, management of state and local direct and indirect tax compliance and audits. State and local technical tax resource for Group Tax for both direct and indirect taxes, credits and incentives, as well as interface with NA business regarding such taxes. Support on compliance and reporting with respect to impact of business transactions on state matters.
· Responsible for day-to-day management of all state income, sales/use and property tax audits
· Serve as subject matter resource to Group Tax and support Group Tax planning initiatives and other projects
· Provide support to NAM business on state and local tax matters
· Liaise with third party provider to provide information and review state and local tax compliance
· Support tax reporting with respect to state and local taxes
· Monitor legislative developments with respect to state and local taxes
· 3+years state and local tax experience in industry and/or public accounting. Federal tax experience preferred
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
· CPA preferred
· State tax generalist background, experience with transactional work (mergers, acquisition, JVs and/or partnerships) a plus
· SAP experience preferred
· Ability to work independently and prioritize workload appropriately; good organizational skills
As a global leader in beverage alcohol, our 200+ brands are part of everyday celebrations in over 180 countries. Our ambition? We want to be one of the best performing, most trusted and respected consumer products companies in the world.
Ever since Arthur Guinness took out a 9,000 year lease on a Dublin brewery, some 250 years ago, we became a business that is defined by the character of the people who work here. It took immense character from Alexander Walker to convince the captains of every ship in the port of Glasgow to take crates of Johnnie Walker to the four corners of the world. Today, nothing’s changed.
We’re proud to be more than 30,000 talented people. While they make our iconic brands ever stronger around the world, we help them go further than they thought possible. In fact, we’re helping to define their career growth through stretching roles and exciting development opportunities.
Diageo is where you’ll find a wide variety of personalities, experiences and perspectives, wherever you’re based in the world. It makes for a stimulating and rewarding working environment, where everyone can flourish.