REQUISITION NUMBER: 223224
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Tax Manager F/M
Based in Aimargues or Paris - France
This is a newly created role as part of a wider global initiative to have In-Country Tax and Treasury Centres (ICTC) within the wider organization. Historically business units have fully outsourced local tax advice but there is need to increase local expertise on tax and treasury matters to provide appropriate business support and ensure optimal delivery on these matters.
The role will initially be responsible for tax matters relating to Royal Canin in France. It is intended that this role will at some point in the future be responsible for French tax advice issues for all business units in France (e.g. Mars Petcare France, Mars Confectionery, Mars IS, Royal Canin Headquarters, Royal Canin France) including deciding what work to do internally and what work to outsource on tax topics for France.
The objective of this new position would be a French expert who partners and collaborates effectively with the business units and Global Tax on all income tax matters and develops in-depth knowledge of the French business units. Further this role would be responsible for identifying, evaluating and implementing tax planning opportunities (while maintaining consistency with Mars global tax principles, policies and strategies).
· Be the guardian of the franchise model in Royal Canin with strong collaboration with Global Tax: which includes updating the TP documentation in collaboration with advisors and Global Tax, the monitoring of franchise fees invoicing to units and a strong collaboration with RC subsidiaries
· Local tax planning - Review opportunities (with alignment and approval from Global Tax) for minimizing taxes of Business Units and execution of these opportunities in France (while maintaining consistency with Mars global tax principles, policies and strategies).
· Group tax planning projects - Provide French tax input and support for group tax planning projects and initiatives for France
· Co-ordinates outsourcing of income tax returns to advisors as well as updating quarterly FIN48 (identification of income tax risks) for RC SAS and RC France.
· During tax audits, lead the matter on all required topics (Transfer Price, local taxes, R&D tax credit) with strong collaboration and communication with Global Tax and ensure the right level of support is provided (e.g. 3rd party advisors and CFOs) to mitigate risks
· Be responsible for monitoring impacts and opportunities of tax legislation changes in France that will impact business units
Context & Scope
· The French ICTC Tax manager will have to show strong leadership, influencing and collaboration with both Global Tax, Global advisors as well as local CFOs both in France but also any worldwide RC CFO impacted by TP decisions taken centrally
· The role will potentially have
· To support local CFOs (working with Global Tax) when tax deductibility of franchise fees is questioned in some sensitive units (Russia, Brazil) and will have to track the progress on implementation of the RC franchise model.
· The role will be responsible for reviewing and recommending local tax planning opportunities (being consistent with Global Tax principles and strategies).
· In order to update the TP documentation and provide French TP advice, a strong business acumen is needed to figure out how best to translate the business figures into the tax model.
· Although the core of the job is oriented towards expertise, the role will also have to coach some tax reporting officers (once ICTC for France is operational) who will support them on the various areas identified (e.g. tax audits, DCP spreadsheets, WHT,…).
· Master’s Degree in Law (BAC +5) hopefully completed by an Accounting diploma
· 5 to 10 years of professional experience: first experience in a tax company (e.g. big 4) and ideally followed by experience in an international environment
· Excellent communication skills both oral and written
· Comprehension of business issues and ability to accurately document relevant facts; feel comfortable with financial information
· Language skills: fluent English
· Strong functional background in French taxation
· Self- driven and comfortable interacting and collaboration at various levels of the organization (Global Tax, local CFOs, lawyers, Global advisors etc).
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.