VAT Accountant Holborn Store Support Centre
What I need to do
· Timely and accurate production of the monthly SSL VAT Return
· Robust and timely VAT reasonableness review undertaken
· Ensure that the Periodic VAT journals are uploaded to GL on a timely basis, and that a robust control environment exists around the Management Accounts VAT process
· Reconcile the VAT balance sheet accounts on a timely basis
· Provide accurate VAT forecasting with integrity in line with the Corporate Planning, annual budgeting and latest view processes
· Liaise with our external auditors to ensure a smooth half year and year-end process
· Ensure all working practices across the team are fully documented and continuously reviewed to ensure they are up to date
· Monitor and challenge manual postings to VAT accounts
· Assist the Indirect Tax team with their request for info/queries, assist on some adhoc projects concerning the VAT return and provide accurate information to agreed deadlines
· Prepare bi-monthly disclosures to HMRC, including all relevant documentation and assist in call with HMRC to confirm disclosures
· Assisting with preparation and delivery of VAT training across finance
· Manage tax admin processes such as collating elections, tracking taxes paid
· Support the team with ad hoc requests during busy periods such as year-end.
How will I succeed?
· Timely and accurate production of the monthly SSL VAT Return.
· No material discrepancies with Management Accounts generated VAT figures.
· Balance sheet accounts satisfactorily reconciled every period (no red risks).
· Positive customer feedback from Group Tax and other SSL colleagues.
· Improvements in the forecasting process delivered.
· Tax admin processes well managed and up to date.
What I need to know
· Part/Qualified CIMA/ACCA/ACA
· Strong core accounting knowledgePrevious experience of completing VAT returns and understanding of HMRC compliance/VAT accounting would be useful but not essential
· Strong Excel skills and knowledge of finance systems (e.g Oracle).
· Experience in investigating and amending reported financials to remove known inaccuracies
What I need to show
· Drive, diligence and be proactive
· Ability to work under pressure
· Ability to work autonomously or within a team
· Clear communicator
Resources available to me
· 2 VAT Managers
· VAT Assistant Manager
· Full system Training and support
What decisions can I make?
· Routine decisions related to VAT compliance (supported by the resources above)