Liberty Global’s (LG) Finance Shared Service Centre (FSSC) provides accounting and business information support to a number of operating entities in the group. This includes the VAT reporting obligations for Virgin Media UK, Virgin Media Ireland and the UK Central. The Group VAT Compliance Manager will be responsible for developing and managing the in-house VAT compliance support function. The individual will take responsibility for business as usual VAT compliance activity and will also work with LG’s Tax Operations Director and Senior Manager to drive systems improvements and embrace the use of technology to create a best in class in-house VAT compliance function. The role may also include managing the transition of VAT compliance activity into the FSSC for any future acquisitions by the group where it makes sense to do so.
· Day to day management of the VAT compliance team (VAT accountants)
· Overseeing preparation and review of draft returns prior to business unit sign-off
· Timely filing of returns following business unit sign-off
· Developing capabilities in the team to increase the number of entities supported by the FSSC VAT compliance team
· On-boarding new operating entities into the FSSC VAT compliance process
· Process maintenance and continuous improvements, including aligning processes to developing digital reporting requirements
· Liaising with business units and IT teams to optimise reporting outputs for compliance
· Operation and evidence of controls over VAT reporting processes
· First point of compliance contact for business units
· Point of escalation for tax coding queries from FSSC
· Ownership of the day to day relationship with VAT compliance tool vendor
· Providing support for data elements of Tax Authority audits and enquiries
Knowledge & experience
· CTA (or EU equivalent) qualified preferred (studying or willing to study towards CTA)
· Experience of working with EU VAT principles – Essential
· Prior experience of managing compliance processes – Essential
· Experience of managing small teams - Desired
· Understanding of risk management frameworks (e.g. COSO/ SOX)
· Understanding of basic VAT accounting
· Knowledge of Oracle R12 – advantage but not essential.
· Experience with tax compliance technology
· Understanding of data analytics methods
Skills & abilities
· Excellent time management
· Development of others
· Process improvement
Liberty Global is the world’s largest international TV and broadband company, with operations in 11 European countries under the consumer brands Virgin Media, Unitymedia, Telenet and upc. We are a family of great companies. While we each describe ourselves differently, and have distinctive personalities, we’re more alike than we are different.
Our deep-rooted family heritage and entrepreneurial energy have shaped our unique culture and incredible growth journey. And the best is yet to come. Never before have we invested more in our customers, our people and our company. We work across functions, businesses, geographies, complex projects and programs. We are united by expertise rather than divided by location.
At times it can be a crazy place to work and navigate. You have to like a bit of chaos and be comfortable with ambiguity. Growing with us means taking a chance: to stretch outside your comfort zone, to grow through unprecedented and unpredictable change, to have the freedom to experience new possibilities, to supercharge your development.
OUR FUTURE OUTLOOK IS EXCITING, TOGETHER