· Support the Tax Director and Senior Manager in execution and delivery of the tax planning and strategy objectives of the Liberty Global (LG) group to ensure the tax position of the group is optimised.
· Work with a wide range of multi-discipline teams and senior stakeholders to ensure the UK planning and strategy team can provide tax analysis and solutions on multiple complex projects, transactions and business initiatives across the LG group;
· A member of the LG Tax Planning & Strategy Corporate Tax Team
· Supporting the Director and Senior Manager in Tax Planning & Strategy
· Support the Tax Director and Senior Manager to evaluate and implement tax planning strategies. Identify tax risks to the LG group’s tax position and design and implement strategies to optimise the position.
· Support and deliver in providing tax input on multiple projects, transactions and business initiatives across the LG group as assigned. This will include business and finance projects at Virgin Media and complex Finance Operations projects.
· Assist with tax aspects of projects related to M&A transactions as assigned, including acquisitions / dispositions, establishment of JV arrangements, relevant tax due diligence, acquisition and integration tax structuring, whilst ensuring efficient use of internal and external resources.
· Assist the Senior Manager, where appropriate, with the UK tax aspects around complex Treasury and Finance positions, transactions and structures for the group.
· Take responsibility for the work required to ensure the group is fully compliant with its obligations to report to HMRC under the UK’s International Movement of Capital (IMOC) rules, involving ongoing and timely analysis of loan and share transactions across the LG group.
· Play a key role in ensuring the team manages the group’s position in relation to the UK Controlled Foreign Company (CFC) rules, ensuring that exposures are minimised. This will include providing real time advice and decision making on relevant group-wide transactions, corporate restructuring and complying with the CFC tax compliance requirements in this complex tax area. This will include leading the annual CFC review for the group.
· Have a working knowledge of the UK Anti Hybrid rules, Corporate Interest Restriction, and Diverted Profits Tax. Monitor new developments or changes to legislation in these areas and consider the impact for the group.
· Proactively monitor new UK tax legislative developments and consider their impact on the tax position of the LG group. Provide an initial assessment of the impact to the Tax Director and Senior Manager. Lead certain aspects of the quarterly tax reporting process for some of the LG UK corporate entities.
· Assist the Senior Manager with updates and sign off of UK tax forecasting. Understand and have knowledge of areas of UK tax volatility and use this knowledge to keep other members of the tax team up to date.
· Maintain a strong and professional relationship when interacting with the Tax Authorities and assist with managing HMRC correspondence and formulating responses to enquiries.
· Work with the Tax Director and Senior Manager to proactively identify, minimise and manage the risks and exposures of the Group’s UK tax position and ensure appropriate communication to senior management.
· Share past experiences and institutional knowledge/insights effectively both within and outside of the LG Corporate Tax Team.
· Exhibit behaviours which contribute to an environment in which all members of the Corporate Tax Team work collaboratively to achieve goals and objectives for the wider group.
· Work appropriately with external advisors, and ensure tax fees and resources are efficiently and appropriately deployed.
· Professional tax/accounting qualification
· Substantial relevant experience in a large international group tax environment or Big 4 team with strong tax experience in the following areas – complex tax planning and optimisation in an international context, including restructurings, CFCs, treasury tax matters, M&A and good awareness across all the taxes.
Skills & Knowledge
The Tax Planning & Strategy Manager should have the following personal attributes and knowledge:
· Strong technical knowledge and judgement regarding international tax compliance principles
· The ability to work independently and to drive a project forward as a self-starting, energised individual
· Strong judgement and problem solving skills, with an ability to identify workable solutions in a dynamic complex business environment and collaborate with team members to take solutions and ideas forward
· Excellent personal and interaction skills; able to communicate well and explain tax concepts in an appropriate way for stakeholders and contacts in the wider business
· Good understanding of the underlying business and commercial matters and an ability to interact effectively with senior members of the Tax team and members of other stakeholder teams (for example Legal, Treasury, Finance Operations)
The application process at Liberty Global includes a background check regarding, but not limited to employment, education, reference checks and may include a criminal background check.
Liberty Global is the world’s largest international TV and broadband company, with operations in 11 European countries under the consumer brands Virgin Media, Unitymedia, Telenet and upc. We are a family of great companies. While we each describe ourselves differently, and have distinctive personalities, we’re more alike than we are different.
Our deep-rooted family heritage and entrepreneurial energy have shaped our unique culture and incredible growth journey. And the best is yet to come. Never before have we invested more in our customers, our people and our company. We work across functions, businesses, geographies, complex projects and programs. We are united by expertise rather than divided by location.
At times it can be a crazy place to work and navigate. You have to like a bit of chaos and be comfortable with ambiguity. Growing with us means taking a chance: to stretch outside your comfort zone, to grow through unprecedented and unpredictable change, to have the freedom to experience new possibilities, to supercharge your development.
OUR FUTURE OUTLOOK IS EXCITING, TOGETHER